Friday, October 28, 2011

MAC wk. #1: PPP Post

Next week we will be deciding if we will choose a publication or presentation for the CBR project. That really started me thinking about a book I read in the past. The book is called "This Is Your Brain On Music," and it asks the question: "If a tree falls in the woods with no one around, does it make a sound." The answer in the book is yes and also no. The "yes" answer is easy because we all understand sound waves and that of course the tree makes a noise as it falls to the ground. The "no" is what I find interesting because unless we are there, we do not know what that tree sounded exact like when it fell.

How does this relate to my decision on presentation or publication?

Well, actually in a similar fashion. If a CBR project is published or presented with no one around to hear it does it make a difference in the educational setting? That is what I need to think about as I decide publication or presentation. Both are excellent options but if the research falls without listeners it will not matter as much.

2 comments:

  1. I read that same book a few years ago, too. I've even seen it on a number of the EMDT instructors' desks. (Dan and Roxanne I'm sure of, but a few others, too.)

    I feel the same way about publishing vs presenting. I feel that my results are pretty much "duh", so why would anyone want to read about it? But at the same time, from all of the research I did for my Lit Review, I know that a number of those articles were also pretty "duh", too. Choices, choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sad part is how many have gone through the efforts to put their capstone project together and no one, except the final presentation person, sees their work. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete